When it comes to the perfect wedding dress many brides have a specific style in mind, whether it’s a plunging sweetheart neckline with a flowing train or a beaded organza drop waist skirt.
Still, there’s reason to caution against being set on one silhouette before you select your gown. While most experts recommend bringing along ideas of styles you like, it also pays to be flexible. Liking something on a model or on a hanger is a lot different than liking it once it’s on you. For that reason, trying on at least one of every silhouette can be helpful: you might be surprised what ends up stealing your heart.
There are many reasons to love mermaid wedding dresses. Here’s our top five:
- They Play up Natural Curves: Unlike ball gowns or A-lines, mermaid wedding dresses hug the chest and waist, which helps create an hourglass figure. Generally, the snug fit around the hips includes flattering tapering and ruching, and the fitted neckline complements the bust.
- They’re Great for Petite Brides: The danger of full skirts is that they can be overwhelming, especially on more petite brides. Mermaids are great for smaller brides because the longer bodice adds length to the body. Select a slim skirt.
- They Add Allure: You certainly can select a beaded look, but mermaids sometimes need less because the dramatic and fitted silhouette adds interest and pizzazz on its own. It’s a dramatic and stunning look that can be paired both with a daring and more modest neckline.
- Modern? You got it. If you’re concerned with being current and stylish, mermaid wedding dresses might be the perfect fit. This is modern wedding fashion, but can also be played down for a more classic look with antique lace or other nods.
- You’ll Be Memorable: All brides want to feel like they made an impact on their guests–and a stunning gown is a great way to do it. More fitted and daring than a trumpet, any mermaid will be a fashion statement.